I shared this on my Instagram a few weeks back. I was thinking about this day again this evening and felt called to share it on my blog as well. My prayer is that someone will see this and it will be the sign they need to go and learn first aid.
Originally shared on July 13, 2019.
Tuesday morning I had the scariest moment of my life. Adaline and I were eating breakfast at the table together; eggs and biscuit. Next thing I know, I glance up from my own plate to see how she’s doing and her face is bright red with tears streaming down her face. That look will forever be burned into my brain. She was trying to cough and I kept encouraging her to do so while getting her out of her high chair. She was able to cough a few times but then stopped being able to cough or make any noise. I immediately flipped her over and upside down. I didn’t even take the time to sit down.
Two blows to her back and a wad of biscuit flew out of her throat to the ground. Which my chocolate lab Mabel immediately ate. Useless mutt.
I’m so thankful I was still at the table with her. Sometimes I’ll wash dishes while she eats if it’s something I’m confident she doesn’t need help with. Like biscuits, which she’s been eating for months now.
I am SO thankful I have to be CPR certified for work. I honestly don’t know if I would’ve gone to take a training on my own. As mom’s we always have a million and one things to do and it’s too simple to say, “Oh I’ll do that next month”. Next month could be too late.
I encourage all of you parents, grandparents, anyone who is spending time with kids. Please go get trained. This could have ended so badly. By the time emergency responders would have arrived she would have gone way too long without adequate oxygen. It only takes a few minutes. I am ridiculously paranoid and careful with her food, yet, she still chocked.
I hope you never have to use any type of first aid on your child, but you need to know how. Because I am trained I didn’t panic in the moment. Granted, it was at least 30 minutes before my adrenaline chilled out and I had multiple nightmares Tuesday night. But my baby is safe.
2 thoughts on “Scared as a Mother”
Wow! This is something I’ve been looking into! I used to work with a lady that would have seizures. I never saw her have one, but she told me everything to do if we were together and it happened. These things are so important!